Ensuring excellent security for the guests in properties requires a great responsibility and diligence. Proper fulfillment of this responsibility starts with knowing how to act in suspicious situations.
Have you ever thought that someone staying in your property and ‘acting suspiciously’ can be dangerous? Do you know what to do when you notice that there is something suspicious?
Fortunately, in a joint study by U.S. Federal Bureau of Investigation (FBI) and Bureau of Justice Assistance (BJA), crucial information was provided with regards to “hotel security”.
Here are the crucial tips for properties that we have compiled from the joint study of FBI and BJA.
The cases you should report to police
1. Unusually salient materials in trash cans of the rooms or trash dumpsters of the property:
- Credit cards or forged documents
- Fuel or fuel cans
- Fertilizer or farm products
- Chemicals or chemical cans
- Arms, ammunition or explosives
2. Cars parked in desolate areas
3. Unusual smells or fluid leaking from the guest’s room
4. Burnt stains, change of colors on the doors or walls.
5. Unusual amount of traffic
Be suspicious of people who:
- Are concealing or changing their appearance in a unidentifiable way
- Have refused to receive cleaning service for a long time
- Have never left their room for a long time
- Enter and exit using doors not visible from the lobby
- Exit their rooms by leaving their clothes and personal belongings
- Leave all of their belongings in the room for a few days and come back
- Request specific room assignments or locations
- Insist on more baggage than you may accept
- Want pay high amounts by cash or another one’s credit card
- Were subject to an extraordinary investigation by the government, soldier or police etc.
- Have stolen official car, uniform, id or access cards
What to do
- You had better be careful about people and activities outside the property.
- You have report to the relevant authorities if something is wrong
- It is important to strive to be part of the solution
- You can report suspicious cars left within your property premises to the police
- Taking note of suspicious person, circumstances and cars may be helpful
It is great important for properties to pay attention to “exercise of legal rights” and “conduct of investigations within the remits of law”. Also, there might be completely innocent explanations for behaviors and circumstances seeming suspicious. Therefore, you should avoid making decisions based solely on one indicator, and evaluate all suspicious behavior indicators as a whole with other related conditions before applying to ‘law enforcement’. You should be careful, especially about not falling into the mistake of suspecting people just because their actions, belief, appearance and lifestyle are different.
These tips can help you maximize the security of your property and guests. You just need HotelRunner to promote your property online and increase your sales. Create your free HotelRunner account now and start earning with online sales immediately.